June 22, 2010

Stop 1: The Little Engine That Could

Have you ever ridden on a train that gets off to a slow start, chugs along for a bit, runs out of steam, then stops with a screech?  That’s kind of what my week has been like.

Ever since I came up with the name for this blog, the train analogies have run amok in my head.  It’s fitting, really.  I’m just starting my quest for the dream career, and I got to thinking exactly what kind of train I’m on.

While others in life have been on the bullet train or steam engine, it seems at this point in life I can only compare myself to the tiny caboose that keeps running out of steam.  Because writer’s block plus procrastination plus fear plus a mild form of self-diagnosed ADD equals a poorly attended coal fueled engine. 

I started the week with my key in the ignition, yelling “All aboard!”  My intended destination goal was to catch up on my travel research, write at least 20 articles for online content, and figure out a training strategy. 

So how did I do? In the travel area, other than being on this virtual train ride through the blogosphere, I didn’t do so hot.  The farthest I got in my travel research was to put my travel newsletter emails into their specific folder.  Again.  Like I’ve been doing for the last six months. 

And while far from reaching my goal, I actually did accomplish quite a bit of writing last week.  As VP of Communications for the Las Vegas chapter of ASTD (American Society for Training & Development), I compiled, wrote articles, and distributed the bimonthly newsletter to our members.  I also wrote and published two articles for Examiner.com, three really short articles for Demand Studios, and one article for Associated Content.  Yeah, me. 

I also started this blog post, something I’m learning to do in a “Blogging for Bucks” class at the College of Southern Nevada.  While eventually I would like to make money blogging, I am content in the knowledge that this particular blog will hold me accountable during this quest.

This leads me to the progress on my training goal.  The week actually led me in a different direction than I had originally planned.  I came no where near to developing a strategy (also known as a business plan).  However, I received an opportunity to do some contract work through an ASTD connection.  The project will take 20-25 hours a week for a decent amount of money.  Thank goodness for networking.  Honestly, if you’re looking for work, forget the job-search engines on the Internet.  Join a professional organization and make connections.  I didn’t even have to interview, I was recommended.  It’s a beautiful thing.

And I’m still looking for fulltime work, only for ones that seem to be in line with my career goals.  It’s the never ending cycle of sending resumes and cover letters, but I’m confident that my skills will set me on the right track.

At this point I feel like the little engine that could.  I’m plodding along, saying to myself, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

Except now, the mantra really needs to be:

“I know I can!”

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the networking, it's who you know now, instead of what you know.

    I also have been writing. Next Monday I find out about a writing contest I entered.

    Writer Laura J. Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can Gwen. When you set your mind on something, I know you can do anything your heart desires. Sometimes we need that much needed downtime after a mind-numbing career in the Corporate rat race to meditate and percolate before finding our true purpose.

    ReplyDelete