June 27, 2010

Stop 2: Emergency Training

This week my career train made a three day pit stop to refuel and stock up on supplies. By supplies I mean that I finally worked on my longtime goal to become certified as a CPR/AED/First Aid instructor with the American Red Cross. I am happy to report that I passed the class with flying colors, and the only thing I need to wait for is my authorized provider agreement.

After I sign the agreement, I will be authorized to teach a multitude of Red Cross Health and Safety classes through my own business. While there is not much money in this endeavor, I am excited that I will be able to train a class again. Of course the real reward is that the subject I’m teaching could help people save lives. As an adult trainer and teacher, there’s nothing more I could ask for that.

My freelance training project is going well, and I’m getting used to the particulars. Eventually, this project may develop into a performance consulting gig, so I’m very hopeful for the outcome.

Of course all this training took away from my other desires to write and to travel. About the only thing I’ve been able to write is this blog post and I’m now behind on several articles for other content sites.

In addition, I put an entire day of work on hold to assist a neighbor who lost all their belongings in a house fire. That’s the beauty of being the conductor of this train – I decide when and where to stop and where to go. My neighbors are o.k., but this experience has definitely reinforced the belief that life is short and we need to make the best of our time here on this earth.

Finally, I’m itching to travel to a destination outside of Vegas. While this internal journey is great, I know I also need to act on my desire to travel. So I booked a one way ticket to Reno on Wednesday, where I will meet my partner who is away on business. We’ll spend a couple of days working and traveling throughout northern Nevada before making the long drive home.

Can we say: Road trip! I really cannot wait for this change of scenery.

All aboard, everyone! This is going to be a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment